If you are looking into the world of home fashion and design, then you may want to become a residential decorator. When you go into this field, then you will have the opportunities to go into people’s homes and create a design concept throughout the house that will add to the ambiance of their home while also increasing the functionality of each room and space in the home. This is a very dynamic and rewarding job. However, you cannot just walk into a home and start designing it. (Well you can, but you will want to get the right background first!)
Listed here are several of the steps to take in order to become a residential interior designer and decorator:
- Decide between residential design, commercial design, or doing both. You will need to decide whether or not you want to focus on commercial design, residential design or both. It is advisable to start with one when starting out in the business in order to get clients and build a portfolio. Then, over time, you can add to your portfolio and increase your clientele and type of design that you do.
- Get your Associates, Bachelors or Masters degree in design. You will need to get an undergrad degree in design and can further your studies with a Masters degree as well. You can study things such as residential design concepts and interior architecture.
- Get continuing education in design studies. You can also continue your education once you have started your career. This is a good way to ensure that you stay on task with your continued learning. You will also want to stay up to date with current trends as well as continue to learn about various ways to get inspiration for new spaces.
- Get an internship. You can also get an internship in order to help you with learning the ins and outs of the business. This is a good way to get experience from an experts and to build your resume at the same time.
- Learn from the best. You will want to make sure that you choose an esteemed interior decorator to help you with your career path.
As you can see, there are many steps to take in order to get the experience and knowledge that you will need in order to become an interior designer and decorator. You will need to make sure that you choose the right school and find the right internship that will work with your needs and ideas. Of course, you can always start decorating right away but you will want to have the experience and qualifications to aid your future career.
If you want to learn more about interior decorators or want to look up the portfolios of the best, then you will need to contact the experts over at Andrea Schumacher Interiors. They are Denver’s leading experts in design and concept decorating. They can help you find the right design concepts for your home while also improving the functionality of each room in your house at the same time.